Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Stranger Anger

Have you ever been unaccountably pissed off by a stranger's bad attitude? You know you will never see them again, so the anger serves literally zero purpose. Yet...it still festers.

Today mine was aimed at the crabby, rude cashier at Target. I worked in customer service for so many years, including as a cashier and student fundraiser (i.e. telemarketer), that I always make it a point to be extra polite and say thank you. I don't forget. I don't slip up. I am always on my best behavior.

On the flip side, as a customer service employee I never took my bad day or unhappiness out on customers.

So, when confronted with a super rude cashier today, I honestly almost lost my sh*t on her. No lie. I had my polite toddler with me who was saying, "thank you very much," before it was even our turn. And when it was our turn, she just sat there quietly. No whining, crying, or throwing toddler tantrums. There was honestly no reason for the cashier to be a jerk to us.

As I was driving home I was ruminating on the things I wish I had said to her and seething with anger. I had been so surprised by her rudeness I had settled for storming away in a huff (thus forgetting my milk and having to storm back and angrily mutter, "oh thank you so much!"), and saying loudly, "don't worry, Cassie. Mommy will teach you how not to be rude even when you are having a bad day." ugh. Not my finest moment.

By the time I got home I was still mad at her. This nameless lady who I wouldn't even recognize even if I ever did see her again.

This brought on the realization that I may have been acting like a bigger jerk than she was. Oops.

So, I had to let it go. I still wish I had some witty rejoinder to her rudeness, but next time I think I'll settle with just ignoring the rudeness. That way I don't have to be so disappointed in my own behavior as well as that of said jerk.

No comments:

Post a Comment