Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Voting




Man, was I disappointed today when I was only the 61st person to vote at my polling place.  There were two sides to the room, so maybe 60 (hopefully more!) people had voted on that side as well, but that still isn't very many.  It was only 1pm in the afternoon, of course leaving plenty more voting time, but I doubt the final total will be very high.

I don't understand people who don't vote.  I honestly don't.  Even if you think that your vote won't make a difference or that the system is so screwed there is no point, I still don't get it.  It is your RIGHT to have a say.  So, have it!

The non-voters who infuriate me the most are the ones who talk about how the government sucks the whole year long - and then come voting day, they are no where to be found.  Really, people? You're gonna whine and complain and not even do the simplest thing to make a change or a difference? I simply cannot understand that way of thinking.

In college I voted in every election via absentee ballot.  It was very easy.  I would contact the city clerk's office in my hometown, have them mail me a ballot, fill it out upon receipt, and then mail it back. Voting complete!

Even with laws trying to limit people's access to the polls being debated all over the country, it is still easy for most people to vote.  This rant is not about those who are denied their right to vote.  That's a whole other topic.  My frustration is just directed at the people who choose not to.

If a person is going to be out of town, at work, or simply busy with something else on voting day, they should get an absentee ballot.  Period.

I have voted in almosy every primary and general election since I was eligible upon turning 18.  I'm hesitant to say every election because my memory may serve me wrong - but I can't recall one I have missed.

I know every person is different, and people have different priorities, interests, etc. Still, it just seems crazy that the percentage of people who vote is so very low.




No comments:

Post a Comment